College education can be a first step to immigrating to Canada, and the Canadian and the Canadian government has established some programs to make it easier to do this. The Post-Graduation Work Permit allows graduates to work for up to three years (depending on your length of study). Many graduates also apply to individual provinces under the Provincial Nominee programs; if the province nominates you, this can assist your federal (Canadian) application for Permanent Residence.