All Canadian issued Permits and other official government issued documents for your stay must always remain valid, from the first to the last day of each term for which you are registered and present in Canada.

  • Legal status in Canada relies on these documents; if you do not renew them, you will be forced to either leave the country, or ask for restoration of status (which can take several months to process). Note that you are not allowed to study or work during the restoration process.

If you wish to extend your study permit, please note that you need to have a valid Study Permit and a valid passport for the duration of the extension period. Always ensure that your passport and your Study Permit are valid, should these documents be set to expire.

Authorization documents for your stay are valid for a given period. If you need to extend your Study Permit or TRV , please ensure that you apply at least 30 days before the expiry date.

Study Permit renewal

  1. Apply to extend it before it expires!
  2. Have a valid passport in order to extend your study permit. Your new study permit cannot be issued for longer than the expiration date of your passport. Ideally, your passport should be valid for the remainder of your studies.
  3. Apply to extend your study permit even if you have only one semester left. This is because you must have a valid study permit for the duration of your program. Your last term of study is not considered a “short-term” course as it is part of a study program that is more than six months in total.

TRV/Entry Visa

You can remain in Canada, even if your TRV has expired, as long as you have a valid status document (e.g. valid Study Permit, Work Permit, Visitor Record, or visitor stamp in your passport).

If you leave Canada, you may request to re-enter Canada if:

  • You have a valid TRV; or
  • Your TRV has expired and you have only visited the U.S. and you have a valid status (e.g. Study Permit, Work Permit, Visitor Record, or visitor stamp in passport).

eTA Renewal

Visa exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada must have an eTA. Normally, an eTA is issued for 5 years or until the expiry of your passport, whichever comes first. If you have gotten a new passport since your last Study Permit was issued, you will need to get a new eTA.

Restoration of Immigration Documents

If for any reason you have allowed your any f your immigration documents to expiry, then they will have to be restored.

Apply to Extend/Restore immigration document