Upon obtaining an Acceptance Letter from a college or university, you will need to submit an application to IRCC to obtain your Study Permit.  

The Study Permit is a document that is issued by Immigration, Refugees,  DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. If your Study Permit is approved, you will receive a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If you are from a Visa required country , you will received a visitor visa to enter Canada. If you do not require a visitor visa to enter Canada , you will be issued an eTA.

A Study Permit is usually issue for the duration of your program of study. It is the most important document that our Canadian government issues to our International Students. It is the Permit that allows students to live, work, and study in Canada on a temporary basis. It is also required for International students to apply for their social insurance number to be eligible to work. We always strongly advise all of our International students to keep this document in safe place always.    

An applicant for a Canadian study permit may include his or her family members on the application, so that they may accompany the applicant to Canada. An accompanying spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit, enabling them to work for any Canadian employer, and minor children may be able to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools.

You do not need a study permit if your program in Canada is for six months or less. In addition, minor children and other individuals may be exempt from requiring a Canadian study permit. To learn more about studying in Canada without a study permit please contact one of our  Admissions Advisers.

Apply for Study Permit